Just Checking In...

It's Halloween Sunday and I am just checking in...  We had a fabulous trip to my sister's house, hayride was a blast, kids dunked for apples, tons of delicious food and some even more delicious deserts....all in all it was a successful trip. Since my kids are grown and I work every Sunday, I won't be enjoying the trick-or-treater's this year. So my Halloween is pretty much finished for this year (with the exception of a few scary shows my husband plans to record on AMC this year).

Here I sit reminiscing my weekend of family time. We reserved the cabin again for next year. Between now and then, I am dying to pick up an air mattress. First though, let me tell you about this super cozy cabin my sister lets visitors use over the hayride weekend. The cabin is built from pine logs...its probably about 7-8 foot by 12 foot (maybe) with two windows and a dead-bolt locking door. There is a built-in AC unit near the top of the back wall and a dresser with a lamp below that. She has 3 dining chairs, a coffee table, and a couch stuffed into the single room. There is no bathroom. The cabin was built mostly for storage, but they decided to carpet it and add a few furniture items for a nice little get-a-way for guests who stay over night during special occasions. The couch does not fold out, but its comfy enough for sleeping. The cabin is definitely a hit with guests...so much so that she now has a total of 3 small cabins with sleeping areas. 

One of the cabins is almost always utilized by her 16 yr old son and his friends - it also has electricity. The other cabin is smaller but has a loft bed within it - its not fully finished and they currently use it mainly for storage. I keep telling my sister she should charge a weekend rooming rate of $25 or something to cover electricity and cleanup. Although, family generally keeps things clean on their own - but you know...it might help subsidize more cabins - these things are amazing. I suggested that my future brother-in-law build multiple cabins and set them up all along the hayride path all the way down to and around his lake. Someday in the future he plans to build a rental cabin down by the lake anyway. He already has a huge heart shaped hot tub for the recreational area on the bottom floor of the cabin as well as a pool table which he plans to put down there. The man is very creative - one of these days I will share photos of his cool projects. My sister is a very lucky woman.

Hubby and I always look forward to visiting my sister - we would actually love to visit more often, but it is a 3 hour drive and we all have very busy lives.  She is planning to hold Thanksgiving dinner at her house this year (I keep hoping it will be on Saturday instead of Thursday though, because I hate having to spread myself thin by visiting two places in the same day. Hubby's family rents a church camp ground for their dinner every Thanksgiving Day. My family never makes firm plans until right up to the last week - so planning is difficult and much of the time we end up only going to one or the other but never both. Christmas isn't going to be much fun this year as I will most likely be working both days. 

Sleeping in the cabin this year was slightly uncomfortable for Hubby and I. We both could not fit on the couch so we made a palette on the floor. My back couldn't take the stiff floor at all...so I only ended up with about 3 to 4 hours of sleep. Hubby is rather tall and he slept rather cramped with his legs bent and couldn't stretch out... Which is why I am determined to buy an air mattress for next year...

How was your Halloween weekend? Hope you had fun!!

--
Wanda

Comments

Popular Posts