Sewing Project - Part 1 - Reusable Cloth All-In-One Diapers

All I can remember about grandma's seems to be that they do some sort of sewing hobby. Since I am soon to become a grandma for the first time ever I feel the need to sew something...and it just so happens that I got a brand new sewing machine for Christmas last year...got my sewing room organized during the month of February...and learned that I am soon to be a grandma coming in July. So why not sew?

My daughter is interested in using cloth diapers and I remembered seeing Tiffany's post on The Home Making Helper requesting help in deciding how to choose a cloth diaper - so I shared it with her. She is newly married and both of them are not working full time so cloth diapers seem to be the least expensive way to go...at least we thought that. All of the cloth diapers we priced were way out of our budget for starting out.

That's when I went on a search for a pattern for making our own cloth diapers. Christie really liked the all-in-one diapers (which will be a bit more expensive to make) and I can't blame her. I am nervous about using velcro closures but I think it can easily be swapped with snaps. And since I have a new sewing machine I feel this is the way to go for the both of us.

Here is a photo of the pattern we got:


And here is a link to a pdf of the dimensions.

 As for material...I am getting ready to head out to look for good viable options. The pattern suggests PUL (Polyurethane Laminate), coated nylon, or coated polyester for the water proof lining part of the all-in-one diaper. For the rest it suggests using fleece, terry cloth, French terry, or flannel. This should be lots of fun!


Comments

Popular Posts