Breaking News - Wedding Bells and Baby Bottles!

As I mentioned in my Menu Plan Monday post, my daughter got married on March 8, 2010. It was a small wedding and we spent the weekend making her a beautiful cake. (Well, it was awesome considering we are amateurs!)

Here is the happy couple and their cake:


And in a few months - around July 12 - we will be blessed with a baby girl - Avah Marie:


I am excited to be a grandmother and yet a bit scared for them as they are just starting out. He is in the National Guard Reserves but is working on going full-time Army - as soon as his superior officer signs the paper work. Other than their income from the National Guard, they have no other income. Both have been looking but the economy is tough - especially for kids with not much work experience. Hopefully, the military will come through for them soon so they can begin moving forward with preparations for baby Avah.

I am working with my daughter's best friend planning a baby shower near the end of March for them as they may end up stationed quite a ways from home (never know with the military). My daughter has asked me to make her baby shower cake - she wants stacked blocks. I am not a fan of fondant so I am gonna try to make the blocks with butter cream icing only. Any ideas for fun shower games? The best one I have so far is a diaper game using miniature candy bars...

The Diaper Game works like this:

You take miniature and/or bite sized candy bars - such as Snickers, Milky Way, Hershey's, 100,000 Grand, Mounds, etc. - make a list of the bars and place a number beside each one - numbering 1 - 5 (or however many different kinds you have) then write a corresponding number - one per candy bar - onto newborn sized diapers. Place an unwrapped candy bar inside each diaper with the matching number then fold shut and microwave for about 30 to 40 seconds for each diaper. (This should be done prior to the guests arrival and the game should be played fairly soon to keep the diapers "fresh") When playing the game, each of the diapers are passed around to guests - guests take a peek and write down the number and their guess as to what "the baby ate" next to that number. Guest with the most matches wins the game!

This game is great as it makes for tons of laughs!

For more baby shower ideas - visit Coolest Baby Shower Ideas

Share your favorite shower games and/or resources!


Comments

  1. Congrats on the good news, a wedding and a granddaughter! The cake is gorgeous too, great job!

    When I threw my sister's baby shower, we played the diaper game. It's gross but so much fun! I ended up buying a pkg of diapers at the dollar store - so check there for cheap ones so you don't have to waste good diapers. I used all the normal candy bars but then had to stick in some tie breaker ones (like a "Chunky" bar) which was a tough one. Then we pretty much just all ate (it was at a restaurant), talked, and opened a ton of gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allison, I been watching those diaper cake videos so I think I am gonna try my hand at making one of those - dollar store diapers sounds like the way to go for that as well - then she won't be too tempted to pull it apart unless she absolutely needs to. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts