Area 51 - The Computer Room (Part 1)

Today, I spent a great amount of time decluttering in the computer room. I was really proud of me today. I didn't get distracted by the computer even a little bit. Of course, it was completely unplugged and my son took it down to the neighbor's garage to blow the dust out of it....that did help. It makes absolutely no sense to blow the dust out of the computer and then put it back in its dusty spot. With clorox cleaner wipes in hand, I set to work piling everything from my desktop into a box.....

Here is my before photo, which you may remember from "The Bigger Picture" post.

Area51-Before

At first I really didn't think it was so bad...then I started going through all the papers. I realized I have a serious problem on my hands when I found pay stubs from May of 2008 laying in those piles on the top shelf.... (let's not even think about the piles that are still in boxes inside the garage)

With the computer gone, but not forgotten, this desk became my target....I made keeper piles and trash piles...sorted and arranged, labeled file folders and sorted some more. Here are a few area 51 shots during the desk attack:


Area51-During Shot 2     Area51-During Shot 1    Area51-During Shot 3


FEELINGS:
While I was working, I felt angry at myself for allowing things to get so out of control. It can all be so overwhelming and its hard to pick up and start when you don't know where to start. For those that don't know where to start - it doesn't matter WHERE you start - what matters is THAT you start. Once you start you WILL have happier feelings - just allow yourself a minute to whine and then kick yourself in the behind. Once you do, you won't regret it. Take look at my desk now!

Area51-After


PLANNING  FOR THE FUTURE:
With every baby step, I have decided to make a plan for weekly maintenance. Since I will be using my desk on an almost daily basis for blogging I have decided to spot clean it every day. Everyone knows that computers are mini dust magnets, so once a week I will do a complete dusting of the surfaces as well as the cabinet where my tower resides and once a month I will visit the neighbor's garage with the air compressor to clean the inside of my PC.

Comments

Popular Posts