Taco Bake

As requested - My Taco Bake Recipe - here ya go Allison! This is a recipe I created one night when I was craving something Mexican but didn't want the same old tacos or burritos. I am sure someone somewhere else has also created something similar - in my opinion it resembles lasagna. The cool thing about this recipe is that it is so versatile you can make it with just about any meat or you can leave it vegetarian (if I did that my husband would probably freak). This makes two 9x13 pans or one large 16-inch round cake pan. It should give about 10 to 12 servings, if not more.

2 lbs Meat - Ground or shredded beef, shredded chicken breasts, shredded pork, or ground turkey even
4 - 6 cups shredded cheddar or taco seasoned cheese
2 cans re-fried black beans
2 packages of Lipton Mexican Rice - prepared as directed
1 large package corn tortillas (the kind you make enchillada's with I think they are 6 inch round and you get about 24 or 30 per pack)
2 packages taco seasoning
1/2 cup salsa

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 and spray a round or rectangular pan of your choice with non-stick cooking spray or coat lightly with canola oil.

2. Pre-cook your choice of meat and shred it (if needed). After it's cooked/shredded and all fat/liquid removed, sprinkle one package of taco seasoning over all of the meat and combine well

3. Make Mexican rice as directed using the microwave directions, while that is cooking put your refried beans into a sauce pan and mix 1/2 cup of salsa, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and 1 package of taco seasoning into the beans, heat on medium until cheese is fully melted and incorporated into beans - Stir frequently to keep beans from sticking to pan and to help cheese mix well.

4. Now layer each of the ingredients in your pan. I have a 16 inch round cake pan that I use specifically for this recipe. Start with the tortilla's, then beans, then rice, then meat, then a layer of cheese - I usually get two or three sets of layers in my pan using all of these ingredients. For my very top layer, I place a layer of corn tortilla's then top it with cheese. This sort of seals the layers in.

5. Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 35 to 45 mintues or until cheese on top starts to turn a pretty golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. This helps the layers set up. I usually use a metal spatula to cut it into squares - it cuts fairly easily and should remove easily.

6. Serve with your choice of toppings:  shredded lettuce, diced green onions, diced tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, crushed doritos (or your favorite chip) I usually just set some small bowls of these items out and let everyone top their own way.

Comments

  1. This looks really good, even better than I was thinking (and I had high hopes!). I'm definitely going to be making this next week.

    Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts