The Plan....

Laura, over at OrgJunkie.com suggested we make a "Plan of Action" for getting started. Below is my plan.

1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
The room I chose is currently my computer room. I want to transform the room into a space that induces creativity - I would like to have a sewing and craft area as well as a spot for my computer.
2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
I need my computer and desk, a desk area for my sewing and crafts, lots of shelf space for all of our books, games, and cd's.
3. What can I remove from the room?
My husband's desk will be removed as it is in terrible condition. We have plans to buy/build a small desk for our dining room area and move one pc downstairs - his pc needs repairs before it will be operational again. Our spare computer works like a server so we will be combining it so that my monitor has two computers attached. The big bulky monitor will be stored away in the garage as a backup.
4. What problems do I see with the room?
Wiring will be a big problem - we currently have wires running all over the house - with a runner rug holding them down to prevent tripping. We also have more books than space to hold them.
5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?
I have two metal shelves in the garage that I plan to bring into the room - they are narrow and will hold plenty of books. I also need some smaller containers and some kind of closet storage system.
6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
I need to learn to let go of things...I currently have a major issue with hanging on to things I really don't need...this morning I threw away 4 bags of garbage - I will probably part with more as I continue sorting through boxes.
7. What kind of a budget do I have to work with right now for storage solutions?
I have a budget of up to $125...so using as many things as I already own is in my best interest.
8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room? (28 days!)
I have 28 days for this room, though if the weather doesn't calm down it may take longer as I want to spray paint the metal shelves before I place them in the room - they need it badly.
9. What is my plan of action?
First, I need to declutter and remove trash. Then I need to declutter and let go of more items. Next, I plan to remove all items except for large furniture and vacuum/shampoo the floors thoroughly. After, I need to replace the furniture into the planned space and place items in their new homes.

My daughter came up for a visit and she has assisted me in determining a theme for the room - our theme is Sea, Sand, and Surf. All my life I have wanted to live by the ocean - living in Missouri is a far cry from sunny beaches...so I am bringing the beach to me with awesome screen savers and some decorative accent pieces. My color scheme is navy blue, white, and a sea foam green or olive green. I am still trying to figure out how I can make my desk  fit in with it all - anyone have any tips for spray painting particle board? I read it can be done using primer and a sander...now if I can talk my lazy husband into helping me out with that.  The blue shelf that sits in my room - I would like to spray paint that a sea foam green to match my metal shelves. Look for a floor plan image coming soon....

Comments

  1. That sounds like a great plan. I love the theme that you will be using. Hey, I am going to try your Taco Bake. Our family loves, loves, loves, Mexican food! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great recipe and sooo easy. Enjoy and thanks for stopping in. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts